Friday, May 16, 2014

Detox Your Body with This: Lemon Ginger Spice Tea | Traci D. Mitchell

Detox Your Body with This: Lemon Ginger Spice Tea | Traci D. Mitchell





Posted by on Jan 28, 2013 in Diet & Exercise | 2 comments

Detox Your Body with This: Lemon Ginger Spice Tea

Share!
Print Friendly
There are detox diets. There are fasting diets. Some detox diets make you fast, and some fasts have a detoxifying effect. I’m more of a detox-with-the-foods-I-eat kinda gal.
But every once in a while I get a wild hair to make my own concoctions
to drink. I think it was after I bought a bottle of Kombucha for $4. I
love Kombucha, and while the tea I made below isn’t the same, it’s still
really healthy, but a fraction of the cost.



Last night I asked on my Facebook
page, “What’s your favorite way to get rid of body gunk?” I shouldn’t
have been surprised to see “I poop,” was listed as an answer…a couple
times. By the way, I appreciate your candor! I think everyone does. Yes,
pooping does indeed get rid of gunk, but getting your body to the point
where you have regular, meaningful poops is the key. Sometimes certain
foods help to improve digestion, and really get things moving. I looked
through my kitchen for a few things and this is what I came up with.



The drink I made is a Ginger Lemon Spice Tea. Technically it’s not a tea, but that’s what I’m sticking with.


Here are the ingredients:


  • Ginger
    is a winner because it helps with both nausea and digestion. Studies
    have also shown impressive results of ginger’s effect on inflammation.
    Take note if you have arthritis, allergies, or even a cold. All three
    are forms of inflammation. If you can’t get your inflammation under
    control, you won’t be able to lose weight very easily . 
  • Lemon Juice is
    really effective in cleansing the body on a cellular level. Many people
    think that lemons promote acidity in the body. Yes, lemons are acidic,
    but when eaten, they alkalize, creating a better pH for your body.
    Additionally, lemons contain a phytochemical called limonene which is
    being used in  clinical trials to dissolve gallstones.
  • Cayenne Pepper is
    well known for its heat coming from capsaicin, which works great to
    reduce inflammation. Cayenne pepper has also been shown to improve
    digestion and elimination. A little goes a long way, and since this is a
    drink (hopefully an enjoyable one), it’s used sparingly.
  • Stevia is used to
    sweeten the drink. I like it and much prefer it to non-nutritive
    sweeteners like Splenda, Equal or Sweet-n-Low. That said, feel free to
    substitute real maple syrup or honey. Keep in mind, both are
    calorically-dense and very high in sugar. If you are trying to get your
    blood sugar levels in check, consider sticking with the stevia.
Here is how you make it:


Ginger Lemon Spice Tea


64 ounces of water (about 1/2 gallon)
1/4 c. fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
5 tbsp. lemon juice, or the juice from 1 1/2 fresh lemons
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 packets stevia (or 3 tsp)


Add ginger to water and bring to a
boil for ten minutes. Remove from heat and add in lemon, cayenne pepper
and stevia. Stir, then allow to cool for a few minutes. Ladle into mason
jars and you’re done! If you don’t have mason jars on hand, they can be
easily purchased at any grocery store. You can always re-use any glass
jar with a lid, including apple sauce jars, salsa jars or nut butter
jars.



I made this drink from ingredients I
always have in my kitchen. The total cost is about 25 cents per drink
(12 ounces)! I love that!



 Join the 10 Pound Club! It’s starting this October. Get healthy with me! Email me for details. 


Want more tips like this? Traci D Mitchell is a healthy living and fitness expert. Follow Traci on Facebook.
She’d love to see you there! Interested in working with Traci? She
works privately with clients specializes in nutrition coaching and
weight loss as well as functional fitness and personal training. All
sessions are done via Skype or telephone if outside of Chicago. For more
information, contact Traci here.

1 comment:

  1. Found this Traci Mitchell article...couple things I like about it are:

    1 it mentions Kombucha tea that I also love..
    2 this is the basic master cleanse
    3 didn't know a cold was an inflammation disease

    more on detox soon!

    ReplyDelete